Hello,

Welcome!

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I suppose you could call it the 'Bridget Jones' Diary' (for the wedding industry); I've created it really as a way for me to vent about my upcoming nuptials without boring my nearest and dearest about things that, well, just aren't that important to them but are all I seem to think about now I'm a fully fledged member of the Engagement Club.



Saturday 7 July 2012

DIY: Confetti Cones

Look what I've done! I know this DIY idea isn't very technical, the most time consuming or even an attention drawing feature but they do say that it is the finer details that matter.  And I love the thought of seeing something I've worked on in my baskets in the entrance to our church when I make my way to greet Mr S. 



Going off on a tangent slightly, I was in Tesco late one night and they had numerous bouquets of flowers that were on a trolley as they were mostly dead.  I managed to pick myself some tulips for 35p, 10 daffodils (although these weren't dead so I don't know why they were on there) for 50p and 4 baskets of flowers; the flowers were so dead and wilted I don't even know what they were, but they came in small wicker baskets with long handles, at 17p each!  I couldn't have been more proud of myself for spotting such a bargain.  I don't want to give too many details of my church decorations away so I shall just show you a picture of my tulips instead, if not only to brighten the page up.





Anyway, I loved the idea of having confetti cones for my guests to shower us with on leaving the church as man and wife.  But, of course, it came down to cost and seeing that some companies offered 15 priced at nearly £15 didn't impress me.  For the sheer fact that I need around 60 of them, they will probably be forgotten about after 5 minutes and then thrown away, I figured I'd give it a go myself.

** I apologise for the quality of the pictures, I always seem to do DIY when Mr S has my camera. **

So here goes......


I bought 250 paper doilies (approx 6.5") from eBay at around £2.50.  Next, you'll need a glue stick and a hard surface to work on.







Fold over the bottom of the doilies; about 2-3 cm should do it.










Placing a finger in the centre of the folded portion at the bottom, start to curl the doilies round into a cone shape.  You may need to practice this bit a few times until you are happy with the right size of the holder.  Once you get to this stage, you'll need your glue stick to hand.








Glue the edge that you can still see and the remaining part of the doily; approximately a quarter of the doily (as above), and then keep wrapping the doily around to complete your required cone shape.







Hold in place for a few seconds until the glue has started to take hold, et voilĂ !






You can also do the same with pages of your favourite book if you're a bookworm, magazines or newspapers would be perfect for journalists or CD/vinyl covers if you're fans of music.  The possibilities are endless!


I'm also making my own confetti by pressing petals and preserving them but it's a work in progress so I won't go into detail until I know my methods have worked!



5 comments:

  1. Hi,thanks for this, I am hoping to try making these for my daughter's wedding. Will let you know how it goes....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good! Yes please do let me know how it goes and best wishes for your daughter's big day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good! Yes please do let me know how it goes and best wishes for your daughter's big day!

    ReplyDelete